DSLaw Family Law Series

WHAT CAN I DO IF I FIND MYSELF IN A VIOLENT RELATIONSHIP? [Understanding the Law on Violence Against Women and Children (VAWC) under Republic Act No. 9262]

Republic Act No. 9262, otherwise known as the “Anti-Violence Against Women and Their Children Act of 2004,” defines and criminalizes acts of violence against women and their children which are perpetrated by women’s intimate partners. These acts result in or are likely to result in, physical, sexual, psychological harm or economic abuse.

Physical Violence refers to any act that includes bodily harm. Sexual Violence pertains to the abuser’s lascivious conduct which may range from rape and prostitution to demeaning and sexually suggestive remarks. Wounded feelings, from the successive battery, may lead to Psychological Harm. And Economic Abuse could mean the deliberate withholding of financial support upon the victims.

The “intimate partner” may be a husband, former husband, or any person who has or had a sexual or dating relationship, or with whom the woman has a common child.

To value the dignity of women and children, and to grant them full respect for human rights, Republic Act No. 9262 allows victims of abuse to come forward and seek protection in the law.

In VAWC cases, time is of the essence if further violence is to be prevented.[1]     

How can we help?

At Delloro & Saulog Law Offices, our lawyers are trained to help you file for a Protection Order. This Protection Order will grant the necessary relief to victims of abuse. Among others, the victim may ask for the prohibition of the abuser from committing acts of violence, removal and exclusion of the abuser from the victim’s residence, and directing the abuser to stay away from the victim.[2]

Aside from the Protection Order, our lawyers are equipped to guide you in the institution of a criminal case when there are violations of the VAWC Act.

For more information on how we can help you, book a consultation with us below.

[1] Tua v. Mangrobang, G.R. No. 170701, (2014).

[2] Rep. Act No. 9262, (2004).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: